Call for Applications: 2018 ENCATC Research Award
DEADLINE: 8 JUNE 2018
On this page, find information about the call for applications, how to apply, evaluation and qualification criteria, FAQ, and contact information
The annual ENCATC Research Award on Cultural Policy and Cultural Management is granted to a recently published PhD thesis exploring topical issues at stake and taking a step from evaluative (descriptive) to innovative and internationally oriented research designs. In addition, it is rewarded to a PhD thesis that can inform policy making and benefit practitioners in the broad field of culture.
Granted each year, the Award consists of the translation of the winning PhD thesis into English and its publication in the ENCATC Book Series on Cultural Management and Cultural Policy Education, a new series of publications specialising in topics related to cultural management and cultural policy headed by ENCATC. The international dissemination of the ENCATC Book Series is ensured by Peter Lang, an international publishing group.
This prestigious recognition aims to stimulate academic research in the field of cultural policy and cultural management with an emphasis on its applied implications. The ENCATC Award also has the ambition to contribute to the process of creating a network of scholars who are competent in doing ground-breaking research projects in cultural policy and cultural management.
The 2018 winner will be announced at the 5th ENCATC Research Award Ceremony on 27 September in Bucharest, Romania, held during the 26th ENCATC Annual Congress "Beyond EYCH2018. What is the cultural horizon? Opening up perspectives to face ongoing transformations" (26-29 September 2018).
HOW TO APPLY
1. Check your eligibility
The ENCATC Award targets emerging researchers in the field of cultural policy and cultural management up from Europe and the rest of the world.
The PhD thesis submitted to the call must have been recently published (up to 4 years after completion of the thesis) and be qualified with cum laude or equivalent in your country’s higher education system. All the PhD’s must be presented in English although the original version can be in another language.
2. Find support to your application
Each Award applicant must be supported by his or her university in the form of two letters of recommendation by members of university's jury/assessment board involved in the public defense process.
3. Prepare your application and submit documents
Candidates must fill in the online application form and upload the following documents into the online application system:
- A cover letter
- A 3,000 word summary of the PhD thesis in English
- Letters of recommendation of two members of university's jury/assessment board involved in the public defense process
- Proof the application processing fee has been paid (print screen for example)
The deadline for application submissions is 8 June 2018.
4. Pay the application processing fee
For your application to be processed, all candidates are required to pay the 30€ application processing fee*.
- Payment must be done in EUROS via PayPal via this link.
- Applicants are requested to show proof of payment (uploading a print screen for example) in the online application system.
Applications which do not meet eligibility criteria or do not respect the application procedure will rejected automatically.
*An additional fee (3,4% +0,35€) is foreseen for the application fee payments by credit card or PayPal account.
Applications due by 8 June 2018
The schedule for the 2018 call for ENCATC Research Award applications is as follows:
- 8 June: Closing date for applications
- 10 August: Notification of shortlisted candidates
- 27 September: ENCATC Research Award Ceremony in Bucharest, Romania
EVALUATION & QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
An international Jury will evaluate the applications and select the winner. For this Award, ENCATC uses a very broad definition of culture, going from the arts, heritage and culture to the cultural and creative sectors. In 2018, the thematic areas (not exclusive) for the competition are the following:
- Developing intercultural and trans-national dimensions of cultural policies and cultural management issues;
- Culture as tool for soft power and cultural diplomacy;
- Creativity, entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Participation and digitization;
- Values and ethics in cultural policy and cultural management;
- Business models;
- Internationalisation of networks.
Qualification criteria will be based on:
- Quality of the research and the research methodology;
- Originality of the research topic;
- Innovative character of the research design;
- Relevance and inspiration for the field and/or for policy makers;
- International dimension of the research;
- Quality of writing.
FAQ & CONTACT
Can my thesis be in a language other than English?
All the PhD’s must be presented in English although the original version can be in another language.
Are letters of recommendation from PhD directors also allowed in the support documents of the application?
For additional questions, please contact GiannaLia Cogliandro Beyens, ENCATC Secretary General at email@example.com