CHARTER - The European Cultural Heritage Skills Alliance
CHARTER – Cultural Heritage Actions to Refine Training, Education and Roles, is an Erasmus+ funded project, starting from January 2021 until December 2024.
CHARTER seeks to create a lasting, comprehensive sectoral skills strategy to guarantee Europe has the necessary cultural heritage skills to support sustainable societies and economies, including transversal competences such as digital/technological and green/blue economy skills.
Combining strategic collaboration and innovative methodologies, the project will bridge the gaps and mismatches between educational and occupational systems and the employer needs. The CHARTER Alliance will mainstream the methodologies, outputs and outcomes, impacting at European, national and regional levels in order to enable Europe to sustainably protect, promote and enhance its tangible and intangible cultural heritage.
Framework & aims
The contextual framework in which the project emerges comes from the lack of statistical recognition of the cultural heritage sector as an economic force. Occupations and activities within the sector are not included in statistical descriptors for economic activities and occupational profiles, leading to undermine cultural heritage potential of bringing awareness and activity to strengthen European cultural identities and social cohesion. The CHARTER Alliance aims to:
- Clarify occupational roles and activities and create the tools for an integrated, responsive education system.
- Identify curricula and learning outcomes over a sample group in order to equip education and training to respond to current and future cultural heritage skills needs.
- Put a structure on cultural heritage as an economically active sector.
The CHARTER Alliance reunites leading academic and training, employer and policy stakeholders in the European cultural heritage sector. The Consortium is formed by 21 full members, 7 affiliate partners and 19 associate members, of 14 EU states.
Academic / Training field:
- Universitat de Barcelona (Spain)
- Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien (Austria)
- Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
- Fondazione Scuola dei Bieni e delle Attività Culturali (Italy)
- Göterborgs Universiteit (Sweden)
- Università degli studi di Genova (Italy)
- Université Sorbonne Paris 13 Nord (France)
Industry / Employers partners:
- Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht (Ireland)
- FARO. Vlaams steunpunt voor cultureel erfgoed (Belgium)
- Institutul National al Patrimoniului (Romania)
- Kultur und Arbeit (Germany)
- MUSEOVIRASTO, National Board of Antiquities (Finland)
- Nacionālā kultūras mantojuma pārvalde (Latvia)
- Veneranda Fabbrica del Duomo (Italy)
- Zavod za varstvo kulturne dediščine Slovenije (Slovenia)
- The Heritage Council (Ireland)
European / International networks:
- Verband der Restauratoren e.V.
- European Historic Houses
- NEMO (Deutscher Museumsbund)
- ADRAL – Agência de Desenvolvimento Regional de Alentejo (Alentejo, Portugal)
- Eusko Jaurlaritzaren (Euskadi, Spain)
- Freie Hansestadt Bremen (Bremen, Germany)
- Regione Toscana (Toscana, Italy)
- Västra Götalands Läns Landsting (Västra Götalands, Sweden)
- ICCROM- The International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property
- ICOM - International Council of Museums | ICOM-CC and ICOM-ICTOP
- European Network for Conservation Restoration Education (ENCoRE)
- Europa Nostra
- European Association for Architectural Education
- Direzione Generale Educazione, Ricerca e Istituti Culturali (Italy)
- Office of Public Works (Ireland)
- Istituto Centrale per la Patologia degli Archivi e del Libro (Italy)
- Historic Environment Scotland (UK)
- Regione Lombardia (Italy)
- Viceconsejería de Cultura y Patrimonio Cultural. Gobierno de Canarias (Spain)
- Complexul National Muzeal ASTRA (Romania)
- ART-ER Attractiveness Research Territory - Emilia-Romagna (Italy)
- Pôle patrimoine. Réseau de coopération des acteurs du patrimoine culturel en Pays de la Loire (France)
- Teatro Pubblico Pugliese (Italy)
- EXARC - Experimental Archaeology (The Netherlands)
- Swedish Association for Building Conservation Contractors and Consultants (Sweden)