The speed and scale of urbanisation in the world is unprecedented. Thus it is not surprising that the rise of city diplomacy is challenging the monopoly of the state in diplomacy. Increasingly, cities, on their own merits, as well as building on networked arrangements, are an important actor in international relations. The cultural dimension of their activity is complex comprising interconnected economic, social, political and environmental strands.
The ENCATC Academy is a unique learning experience different from other offers currently available. Leading experts from Europe and North America - who are renowned figures in the cultural diplomacy and international relations fields, higher education, and policy - will deliver comprehensive and in-depth knowledge the role cities play in cultural diplomacy.
The programme will offer insights and experiences in the following areas:
- understand the historical background and the contemporary issues faced by cities in international cultural relations
- explore the role of cultural leadership linking the local and the global
- grasp the diversity of roles arts/cultural organisations can have in relation to state diplomacy and local cultural engagement
- experience the links between international, state and local actors operating in cultural relations and diplomacy
- witness how cities, culture and conflict can link
- envisage how culture must be at the heart of sustainable urban development.
This intensive learning opportunity is designed for academics, researchers, cultural managers, practitioners, artists, policy makers, students and the wider public interested in gaining unique access to New York City’s cultural institutions, knowledge on the rising role of cities in culture and diplomacy, expertise of cultural and community leaders, and new contacts to expand professional networks.
All participants are strongly encouraged to attend the 7th ENCATC International Study Tour (12-14 February 2018) that will organise a programme of on-site visits to arts and cultural institutions in the city and share concrete case studies. This will also be a way to gain behind-the-scenes access to top cultural influencers in one of the most iconic cities in the world.
Now in its 7th edition, the 2018 ENCATC Academy is designed and implemented in close cooperation with our members, New York University and Goldsmiths, University of London.
Photo "Sheep Medow" by Shinya Suzuki via Flickr CC BY-ND 2.0